Monday, November 20, 2006

Running in Cold

Cold weather can't be an excuse to me as I have promised myself to run this weekend. Well, most of the time. It's tough to be as enthusiastic about running outdoors when the mercury drops to 9 degree and winds hurl on your face and hands. The obstacle from the windy weather can slow me down, lowering my metabolic heat production and increasing my risk of hypothermia.

So what I do is layering myself before I start my running. This is the different between running in the equatorial country and 4 seasons country. A thin, breathable base layer, which may keep myself warm. A mid-layer of lightweight cotton T-shirt to provide insulation. And my last layer is a wind breaker jacket, which protects me from wind. Plus a gloves which keeps my hands warmer.

I started my run around 4pm and the day seem to be getting darker and colder. It is a bit late to run at this hour because day time tends to be shorter in the end of Autumn.

It is a good experience to run in the changing seasons. Enjoy the scene while running. The windy weather really killing. Anyway after 10 mins run, my body become warmer. The air seems to be quite dry and thin. Having a difficulty to breath but then my breathing slowly back to normal. I managed to run 1hr perhap just 6 miles and sweat a bit. Sweating seems to be precious to me now. :P Anyway it is a good start.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wei, are you sure this is the right attire to run in cool??? You better wear properly because when I was in US, I felt like running in the icy water :-((

I didn't sweat at all even after running for 3 hours. Every morning, getting from house to the gym room was a challege for me because the temperature outside is very low.

Seriously, running in cool is not romantic and funny at all. Tak boleh tahan....

felixdbear said...

Hi Wan Lin,

I know it is not a proper attire to run in cold, but what to do, my legs really itchy and can't stand the tempting of the autumn scenery and nice route. Hehe!
Are you sure you didn't sweat at all after 3 hours run? Anyway, you wont easily get tired. Maybe you can try to run in fast pace. It might help you to sweat a bit.

chongwah said...

wear a long sleeve not singlet & track bottom not short pants to run la. ur body already thin like kayu dahan already... catch cold le ;-)

felixdbear said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
felixdbear said...

Thanks for your concern. I don't think I am dare to run with my usual running attire here. The body will get freeze until numb. :P
But running with a wind breaker will definitely help even though without a proper track suit.

rowenne said...

U always never stop to exploring new jogging path, now u are exploring new path at UK!!

Be careful and enjoy the run there,

Take care ah gal.