Monday, March 31, 2008

Conquering Kuala Lumpur International Marathon 2008

The phone alarm woke me up at 2am yesterday. I didn't realise I had any dream. Surprisingly, with merely 4 hours of sleep, I don't really feel tired or sleepy. My body always told me that she doesn't get enough sleep when I woke up around 5 or 6am during weekend for my usual run. Maybe I am too excited. Anyway, I still took few sips of coffee in case I fall asleep during the run. For food wise, I wanted to try different things this time. One cereal bar for me but not powerbar as this things really upset my stomach with their ingredient and taste.

I was there by 3.30am, the Sultan Abdul Samad building was beautifully lit up. Hundreds of participants were already there. Some stretching, others chit chat or wait for the time to come. I met up few of my gang of friends. The feeling was good as they are still here to support the race even though some of them are unwell and not physically prepared. The group started to become smaller and things have changed after all these years but their passion for sport never change.

Marathon is always a mind over body activity - however, enough training is still essential. We're all gathered at the starting point . My mind was all cleared up. Adrenaline pumping high. I have no expectation or target this time but hoping to complete the race within 5 hours.

BANG! The timing chip set off a beep as I crossed the starting mat. Everyone was quickly passing through me at this point. We paced each other at the beginning before I went ahead. They are not here for the glory but for the friendship and promises.

I started my 10km to 20km slow & steady as I have learned a mistake to run too fast but end up too tired at the end. Thanks to CTH who paced with me for the first 20km. Anyway I have to continue my journey without stopping too much at the water station. I'm all alone. The traffic control was bad compare to last year. I hope there will be some improvement next year. I earned a powergel after 30km mark. Anyway my stomach still refuse to take it. I didn't suffer too much in term of mentally or physically after 30km. Legs were ok.

To keep my mind occupied, I tried to look at things along or in front the road. Too bad, nothing entertaining. People are too stingy to cheer for you but only stare at you with an unbelievable expression. Sad... I saw 8km mark which really motivate me. I was more confident with the flat and downhill route in the last few km. Another 1km to go, I decided to push further. The finishing line in sight! I looked up just in time to see my finishing time on the timeboard... I crossed the finishing line in 4hr20mins. A huge sense of relief came all over me. It was unbelievable. Jubilant. I could not believe myself. It was just lucky. Till then, I will see you again next year.

3 comments:

AdamLoh said...

well done my friend, so are fabulous, keep up the good work.

your just fantastic!

blueameba said...

Truely happy and proud of you! Keep it up!!

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

you did well!!
top20 in women open and that's super!

when will you treat us? hehe!