Monday, April 14, 2008

Kapas Marang swimathlon 2008

It has been my dream to swim across the island, and yes I make it. With my strong passion for swimming, I managed to finish my first open-water race in Terengganu last Sunday. It is a 6.5KM open water swim from Pulau Kapas to Pantai Peranginan Kelulut, Marang, Terengganu. No target for any timing but just hope to complete. I really enjoyed the challenge. It's completely different than swimming in the pool and the taste of saltwater gets in you. With the help of the wave, I can float easily and even swim faster. :P I would say I'm just lucky to achieve this as I had very little preparation plus without any open water swimming skills and techniques. That's really make me struggling hard whether to go or not few days before the race. The reason is open water swimming can be an intimidating and fearful one. I have to swim through undercurrents that will sweep me off course and that's very tiring. I was nervous about the swim. This was my first time out in the open water swimming with purpose since I was a little kid (not just horsing around jumping off a boat offshore or snorkeling around).

The day was a lovely, water quite warm, clear blue skies and neap tides. In this event, every swimmer felt the wrath of the jellyfish, which showed up during the race. This little cute things really turned out to be the greatest dangers on the course. The first time I swam through the jellyfish and was stung badly on my face and arms. I am suffering itchiness all over my body now. I think this is due to my allergic to the contamination of the water or the toxic from the little creatures. Of course I can't run away from sunburn too. Anyway, it was one of my most exhilarating and spectacular experiences. Thanks to my friends who shared their racing tips and experiences to me, their encouragement was very much appreciated and as well as the kayak marshals who guide me through to the finishing point.

Look near yet far

The place I stayed

The finishing point

Ending ceremony















The finisher medal

4 comments:

yipwt said...

Hi Phyllis,

It's yip. Congrats to you for completing the swim!!

Never knew you were a swimmer :)

chongwah said...

hapi 4 u! congrats ya.

felixdbear said...

Yip,

Thanks! Same to you. You are pretty fast. :-)

Chong Wah,
Thanks! :-)

Kean Hong said...

one word, envy.

Swimming always my weakest sport even though i stay near the beach...damn