Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dog attack

I was out for a jog today and it is quite hot even though the clock hit 5.30pm. There is nothing special about the route in this area but the only thing is there are quite a number of domestic dogs and stray dogs. The dogs are always exciting and begin barking, growling when they saw someone passing by. There is one spot where a stray dog that like to chase after me. I never take it seriously and I thought after a bit of barking, the dog will lose interest and go away. I always remain calm or be friendly because there's some truth to the adage that dogs and other animals can sense fear. If you panic, you may make the dog feel more confident in his attack, or you may appear threatening to the dog. The dog is not playing and being aggressive this time.

Ouch... He was acting fast before I realise I was bitten. I ended up with a minor teeth marks (two holes, still lucky though...) and bruise on my calf. Guess I will have to get a rabies shot before I turn to a beast. Haha! I tried to contact the animal control authorities after this in order to prevent such incidents in the future, as well as to determine if the animal has rabies. Some advice for runners,
  • Every dog is different, and dogs will react in sometimes unpredictable ways.
  • Watch for signs of infection closely if you've been bitten. There's a lot of bacteria in their teeth.

2 comments:

CP Waterman said...

Wah sorry to hear that you've been bitten by a dog. I hope everything is alright with you now.

I hate running round the neighborhood that keep dogs that are let loose outside the house. It is in fact a great danger to small children. Over here the owner will be fined. I hope the relevant authority will take quick action before something serious happens.

Until then, run with an umbrella for protection. haha
Take care!

felixdbear said...

Hi CP waterman,

Thanks for your concern. I'm getting better now. I agreed with you. I will run with things that I can hold in hands as protection.