Thursday, April 26, 2007

You See Impossible, I Saw Finish Line – Flora London Marathon 2007

Yes, I make it. Due to the crazy idea from my colleague, I have taken part Flora London Marathon 2007 as one of the 'feel the route' runner. I was struggling last few days and wondering is that really works. In fact, nobody will spot me as there are around 30,000 runners in this race. Besides, this is not an offence but more like a challenge. I never expect I am in UK this year and it was too late for me to register the run too.

Flora London marathon has been held each year in London since 1981, usually in April. It was held on 22nd April this year. It kicks off at Greenwich Park and Blackheath, continues through Surrey Quays, Brunel Road, Tooley Street, Canary Wharf, the Tower of London, Embankment, Parliament Square and Birdcage Walk, with a royal finish on The Mall by Buckingham Palace. The run started at 9am (elite runners) and 9.45am (mass runners). I expected to complete the run before 3pm. Gosh, I will be burned like roasted chicken by the time I came back.

I woke up about 5:15am to take the 6:52 train to Maze Hill. The weather was cloudy, fairly warm. I know I am on the correct train when more and more runners get into the train after half an hour. The station was crowded with marathon runners when I reached there around 8am. I followed the runners who were going to the red start.

I took a new flavour Powerbar but the taste still the same. One word for it ‘yuck’. That’s all I have for my whole marathon journey.

By taking a loophole from the barrier, I manage to go into the crowd before the starting point. It took me 10 minutes by walking to the starting line after the gun went off.

The crowds that turn out along the 26.2 mile route of the Flora London Marathon really impressed me. Thousands turn up to cheer on friends, family and colleagues as they put themselves through a huge mental and physical challenge. This is a race that I could not take my eyes off all the way till finish. There are band performance, motivation music from the shops and funny costume worn by some of the runners. The support from the crowds is phenomenal. I never feel alone by running on my own. The wonderful atmosphere and crowds inspiring marathon sights has distracted my mind from thinking whether I can finish the run or not.

It is getting hotter when I pass through 15km mark. I was pleased to reach the Tower Bridge and the crowds are rousing when passing over the bridge, which mean I’m also close to the half way point. The photographers on Tower Bridge were taking photos to runners who pass through. I might be on the video too. :P

A lot of runners having a hard time with the sun shining and the temperature set to rise above 21C as the day wore on. I saw a lot of runners were suffering and walking with cramps. I manage to survive as I was bought up in a 34C whole year country. However I can’t run away from sun burn on my face and hands.

There are four run-through showers installed along the route to refresh the runners. I really enjoy that. The use of bottles rather than cups for water is convenient for runners to grab the water from volunteers. However it also meant that the later runners were unable to have water to drink. The water had simply run out once. Anyway the organiser added an extra 2,600 bottles of water to the normal stock of 25,000 bottles at each station to help runners deal with the high temperatures.

Time flies, it was few miles left when I ran through Big Ben. London Eyes was across the Thames River. It was magnificent. There is 1 mile to go when I turned the corner at Westminster. The crowd was fantastic. I am so excited and all I had was the anticipation of finishing. The countdown markers came rapidly now. 800m left, 400m left… less than 1 minute to go. Suddenly I was stopped by the organizer from the side saying that I can’t go through the finishing line without a number. :-( Even though it is as expected, I still feel very happy and without any regret.

This is an incredible and memorable event I have taken part and very well organised.

The front and back of London Marathon 2007 medal. Is it nice?

3 comments:

fhlim said...

Congrats. What's your timing ?

Mark Oliver said...

Yeah Loved the Story as i am in Training for NYC/LDN 2008!!

Really inspiried me!!

Keipo said...

Wah..good to run at london marathon and get enjoy ,congrate !!!